Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease also known as COPD is a progressive respiratory disease that makes it harder to breathe over time. While there’s no cure for COPD, it will become manageable by taking proper medication and making positive lifestyle changes. If you have COPD, it’s important to learn about your condition and take an active role in your treatment. If you smoke quit immediately!!! smoking has often linked to COPD so if you are a smoker please talk with your daughter for assistance and possible methods for quitting. While looking online this morning, I came across some breathing techniques that will be helpful if you are currently suffering from COPD see below:
1. Lie down on the floor with 2 pillows, place one under your head, and another under your knees.
2. gently put one hand on your chest and the other hand on your stomach underneath the rib cage.
3. breathe in through your nose and breathe out through your mouth with almost closed lips.
4. Repeat 10 times
Pursed Lips Breathing Technique
1. Breathe in through your nose and count to 2 slowly
2.breathe out through your lips in a semi-closed pursed formation and slowly count to 4.
3. Repeat 10 times
Posture Breathing Technique- this particular technique can be done standing or sitting
1A. If you are standing hold on to the back of a sturdy chair or an edge of a table.
1B. If you are sitting let your arms rest in your lap or on top of the table.
2.bend forward toward the table while keeping your back straight
3. breathe in and out repeatedly about 10 times or so.
Controlled Coughing Exercise
1. Sit comfortably on a chair feet planted firmly on the ground
2. Breathe in slowly through your nose
3. exhale through your mouth and cough twice. this should break up some of the phlegm in your chest. Repeat as needed.
Doing these exercises on a daily basis with your nurse or companion although not a cure should make things easier to manage with COPD.
tell us your thoughts or testimonials we would love to hear from you.